In memory of a loving father- Jim K Matchaya




By Greenwell Matchaya




For me, this week of August, shall live in infamy since 2008. I had woken up early on one lazy Saturday morning on the 23rd August 2008 . I did not go to work that morning as I was generally preparing to leave for the United States to continue with my doctoral studies. My mind was pre-occupied with how I was going to survive the winter that was sure to come, despite the fact that I had survived even more ruthless cold conditions in the Scandinavian region a few years before. The UK at the time was not bad in terms of weather. Aside from the unpredictable daily weather, the worst that could happen in terms of temperatures at the time, where I lived, was a minus 4 Degrees Celsius.

Everything changed abruptly that morning, with a phone call from my cousin in Malawi reporting that my father whom I fondly call, among other names, “ the Insightful one” had died. The circumstances of the death were traumatizing. Apparently, he and his friends were aboard his car en route to a nearby locality in Lilongwe to participate in some traditional ceremonies normally preformed as a formality for elevation of chiefs from one rank to another within our culture.  Unfortunately, whether out of ill fate, or  human error, the  driver of his car lost control, the car overturned and left him dead or severely injured by the head, while his friends sustained minor injuries and later recovered at the hospital. 

Examination of the facts corroborated by many of those who witnessed the accident brings in many questions than answers. For example, while some of the injured ones got taken to the hospital for examinations immediately, he was left there for long and when he got picked, it was late after the others had received medical attention. Obviously, the question regarding whether it was the accident that was both the factual and legal cause of his death for now is unanswered. In sum, the circumstances around the death are painful to remember.

Fortunately though, aside from the traumatizing memories of his death, a lot of good things come to mind too. Those of us who rose from  rural   life to urban life of some sort, will attest to the fact that life in rural areas of Malawi is generally both nice and challenging. The things, services, amenities etc we take for granted in cities are non-existent in rural areas and where good services exist, they are patchy and at best limited. To think that we rose from those conditions to where we are now makes me appreciate him and my mother even more. 

From nothing he and my mother gave me an education that is at the very least, good, and at best , one of the best a person can ever get in his life time on this planet. The values he bestowed on me regarding hard work, the need to toil, focus and persistence even in the most challenging of conditions were instrumental in laying out a trajectory towards the future I found myself in. While where I find myself at this point is not per se where I want to be, and may fall short of the definition of greatness, I have gone much further than I would ever have gone in the absence of his effort. His insights, persistence, self-denial for my good were crucial and I wish there was a way to pay him back. Life is tough, yes,..but i know it would have been worse. 

Many years after leaving the tough rural life, my question is whether I can live up to his standards. Living up to his standards is not equivalent to just educating my children, but doing more. Have I done this yet? No. Am I on course to do it? Yes, and my prayer is I emulate as much of the good that was in him, to make me better. 

My last memorable meeting with him was at the Korea Gardens where I had gone with him and mum to have lunch just two days before returning to the UK to continue with my studies. On that day he spoke in a manner that now with hindsight, I can consider prophetic and testamentary. We discussed how he considered me important part of our family and how I should ensure I don’t forget to lead the family even if he wasn’t available.

As I promised that day, I will continue within my abilities to act as if I had ascended to your throne. My prayer is that the principles of umuthu that characterised your life in society in general should develop further in me. For what shall it prophet one if one was shinny amidst darkness? 

Rest in Peace ! You were and will continue to be a star, no wonder they called you SACCO- you were always there for people around you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Global financial meltdown and Malawi’s economy

Important links for scholarships, and development data

Moving the Malawi economy forward: pieces of advice to Excellency Chakwera’s government.